January 12, 2007

Reminiscing

My what a journey we have been on, what a journey we are still on! The Lord called us to homeschool six years ago, my how time flies. I am amazed at how we started and how we have changed. The fear of thinking I would hurt my children if they weren't learning everything public schools were learning on their time frame. I recreated what I knew from my own experiences in public school. It didn't take long to burn us all out. Thankfully the Lord led me to homeschooling boards where there were ladies with years of experience and so much wisdom.

I heard that it would be fine if we took six months off to try and detox from what we had all been exposed to. Fear tried to creep in and thoughts of abuse! LOL! I am so glad I can laugh now. We took the plunge and put the texts away and we learned to relax. We learned to know one another. We learned how much fun life could be without all the stress. Thank-You my Savior, Lord Jesus Christ. Thank-You for revelation, perserverance and Your protection.

During this time I researched different materials, different learning styles. I decided to try Unit Studies and fell in love with Learning-Adventures. I wish I had pictures of those days. I also found that as much as we loved Unit Studies we didn't always have a schedule that would allow them so we had to supplement with a few textbooks and find some independant work for the girls when life happened. It did and it worked!

My oldest daughter started out here in our home in the sixth grade. This year she is a junior. She spent last semester in the local community college with a full load and made all A's and B's. (only one B I believe) I had so badly wanted her to graduate with her Associate's Degree in general education at the same time she was awarded her highschool diploma from me. Wouldn't that make me look good? All the persecution I suffered over the years for bringing them home to school them would finally pay off! I would show them all. Not so quick though.....the Lord spoke to me again, oh so unmistakably, so clear. He said, "My child, do you remember your call? Do you remember what I asked you to do? I have a plan for your daughter and it isn't what you have planned. I need your obedience. Stop doubting yourself and do what I have called you to do." Now that was an awakening for me. My husband heard the Lord loud and clear also. I believe had we not both heard the same thing from our Lord I might have ignored it, thinking myself insane or ridiculous. After all other Christians send their children to college surely it isn't wrong? For many it isn't but for us I'm afraid it is.

So this semester we are starting fresh with new agendas. We are excited because we know our Lord is faithful and He has a great plan. We can't wait to watch as it unfolds.

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1 & 2

No comments: