February 8, 2013

Losing Weight

I've shared bits and pieces of my weight loss journey over the years. Often times I by pass writing about that part because I have had no real success over the past 6 years that I've been blogging. I'm up and down, I try different plans, but I don't stick to anything. Changing your way of eating is one of the hardest things ever to do. Sugar is more powerful than the strongest drug. I overcome my addiction in spurts but never truly over come it. It reminds me of the alcoholic, on and off the wagon. One taste and you're gone, you are on a week binge. There is no recovering from it, because the cravings, the stress, the relief when you eat sugar to relieve your stress.

Well, I'm back on the wagon praise God! With all the trouble I've had in nursing school-the brain fog, the exhaustion, the inability to recall what I've studied, I decided that I had to try something different.

My nursing buddy that the Lord gifted me with had wanted to lose weight and talked about different things since we began school last August. She's begged me to do something with but in my mind there was absolutely no way I could tackle anything else.

After reading and studying some more I came across something called the Whole 30. It reminded me so much of the low carb eating that I was use to doing and I remembered the cleared mind that eliminating sugar and simple carbohydrates would bring. I decided to go to the Atkin's diet to lose the weight and implement the Whole 30 into is as we go.

We are drinking nothing but water. No diet soda. I have had a cup of decaf with Splenda but that is only a once a week thing. The next step is add in the exercise. That step is always the hardest because of TIME. And it's not like you look forward to doing it in the beginning. Once I get going, I love a good work out. I like to sweat when I'm dressed for it. Sweating in regular clothes sucks though. :)

We are over a week in and through the withdrawals of caffeine. We are going hard through day 14 using the Induction Phase of Atkin's diet. It's working well. Today I hit the 5 pound mark. It's amazing to me how the body works. You take away those sugar carbs and it reverts to burning the actual body fat for energy. My brain fog is gone. My retention and understanding of what I am studying is stronger. I have more energy, which is crazy but makes sense at the same time because I have so much body fat to burn! roflol

I'll focus on doing a weekly update on the weight loss.

It feels good to be doing something about it.

This rest of this semester will show if this new way of eating helps me in the grade department. :)

Isaiah 41:10  fear not, for I am with you;  be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you,  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Good for you. I'm attempting to lose a total of 34 lbs. I've lost 15 and have 19 more to go. The older we get the harder it is!!!!

Debra Seiling said...

I'm so happy for you and that this is helping you have more energy, as well. Debbie Seiling

http://bible-passages.blogspot.com

http://christian-overeaters.blogspot.com

Jenileigh said...

Thanks to both of you. Losing weight is the battle that I've fought my entire life. I'm just striving to continue, be obedient, and keep drinking water. When that warm sun hits I plan on walking too!